Revivalist is a reader-supported endeavor and our posts may contain affiliate links. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Adventuring by yourself is one of the most exhilarating experiences one can have. Stepping out of your comfort zone to visit a new environment alone can be life-changing. Here are 25 solo travel quotes that can inspire you to plan an independent adventure.
1. “I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on earth. Then I ask myself the same question.”– Harun Yahya
Flying away sometimes can make you a happier, more knowledgeable person. Don’t let the responsibilities of life always tie you down. Whether you’re deep in a career or caring for your babies, solo travel is a great way to reconnect with yourself.
2. “Feel the fear and do it anyway.” – Susan Jeffers
Traveling solo can be terrifying but it is often more than worth the experience. Just embrace your plan–or lack of–and keep going.
3. “When the traveler goes alone he gets acquainted by himself.” – Liberty Hyde Bailey
Traveling with others can be fun but it can be hard to fully relax when you’re concerned about another. Going alone lets you do what you want when you want and discover new patterns and interests.
4. “You have exactly one life in which to do everything you’ll ever do. Act accordingly.” – Colin Wright
Don’t wait to take action on the things you want to do. If you want to plan a trip, do it! Start saving or book the tickets. You only live once and you never know what lies ahead.
5. “Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without traveling.”– Roman Payne
Dreaming about an adventure pales in comparison to taking the leap. Women are often told we can’t do something alone. Shake off the misogyny and embrace your power as a female.
6. “Traveling Isn’t something you’re good at. It’s something you do. Like breathing.” – Gayle Foreman
You might not feel like you have the skills to travel solo but you just have to do it. Travel is something you learn, not a skill you are born with.
7. “Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone.”– Wendell Berry
You can live vicariously through others’ adventures but you don’t actually live until you have your own experiences.
8. “Not I, nor anyone else, can travel that road for you. You must travel for yourself.” – Walt Whitman
Everyone has a path in life and you are the navigator. It doesn’t matter whether others approve of your solo travels. They’re not living your life.
9. “Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.”– Henry Rollins
Being alone forces you to focus on new things around you instead of the people you are with. This gives you more opportunities to appreciate your surroundings and find peace.
10. “If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.” – Angelina Jolie
We’re all born into different lives and raised in environments that shape our worldview. Exposing ourselves to new experiences can broaden that view and make you a more well-rounded person.
11. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.” – Amelia Earhart
Taking the first steps toward your adventure is the hardest part. It might seem strange to travel alone but once you’re doing it, you can discover all it has to offer.
12. “Adventure can be an end in itself. Self-discovery is the secret ingredient.” – Grace Lichtenstein
You don’t have to travel to a remote location to embrace solo travel. You can often get to know about yourself as much being alone in a theme park as you do on a trail. Do what feels right to you.
13. “You must go on adventures alone to find out where you belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
How can you know what you’re missing if you never experience it? You might find that solo traveling helps you find a new hobby, career or goal.
14. “Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” – Mary Oliver
What do you really want out of your life? Traveling somewhere for self-discovery can help you figure that out.
15. “One of the great things about travel is you find out how many good, kind people there are.” – Edith Wharton
If you want to make new friends, travel to a crowded location alone. Groups of tourists are typically in similar situations. You’re all new to a location. Participating in activities together can help you find like-minded people.
16. “The question isn’t who is going to let me, it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
You don’t need permission to do what’s right for you. If you want to plan a solo travel trip, you are the only one who can prohibit yourself from doing it.
17. “Jobs fill your pockets, but adventures fill your soul.” – Jaime Lyn Beatty
We have to work to make a living but our work isn’t the only thing that makes our lives worth living. Taking the time to adventure lets you explore places and ideas you previously never considered.
18. “A mind that is stretched by new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Once you expand your worldview, it is impossible to go back to who you were before. Solo traveling to new places could change you for the better.
19. “Traveling solo does not always mean you’re alone. Most often, you meet marvelous people along the way and make connections that last a lifetime.” — Jacqueline Boone
Even if you begin your adventure feeling lonely, you might not end that way. Even if you don’t intend on connecting with others, the connections you find might surprise you.
20. “Don’t be scared to walk alone. Don’t be scared to like it.”– John Mayer
Despite what society tells you, there is power in complete independence. It’s okay to like spending time with yourself.
21. “Travel experiences are emotionally loaded. Often there is excitement and stimulation. The tingle-factor though comes partly from the fact that we’re stressed, just a little.” – Jane Wilson-Howarth
It’s alright to feel worry or stress when planning your trip. That’s part of the experience that makes it feel so much better once you accomplish it.
22. “What good are wings without the courage to fly?” – Harper Lee
You are more capable than you think. Don’t live solely in your comfort zone. See how far you can fly.
23. “Fearlessness is like a muscle. I know from my own life that the more I exercise it the more natural it becomes to not let my fears run me.” – Arianna Huffington
Your first time traveling alone might seem complicated and stressful. Don’t give up. The more you do it, the easier it gets and the more you can enjoy your experience.
24. “I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning how to sail my ship.” – Mary Louise Alcott
We’re always learning how to navigate the next stage of our lives. Don’t be afraid of failure as you learn to steer your journey.
25. “The more I traveled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends.” – Shirley MacLaine
We’re all more alike than many want to admit. You can connect with other beliefs, cultures and customs through travel.
Finding Inspiration for Solo Adventures
Solo travel can be exhilarating, terrifying and peaceful. You can find out more about yourself and what you want in life by broadening your horizons and spending time with just you. Getting out of your usual environment can give you the necessary space to relax and decide what you want in life.
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
We would love to connect deeper with you!