Revivalist is a reader-supported endeavor and our posts may contain affiliate links. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Society tends to emphasize the importance of finding a partner, making it easy to overlook the incredible benefits of dating yourself. Dating yourself allows you to discover things about yourself and get outside your comfort zone. It’s a concept that may seem unconventional at first, but it offers a multitude of advantages that can significantly enhance your life. Here are five reasons why you should make dating yourself a regular occurrence.
1. You Boost Confidence Levels
You don’t need to depend on others to be happy. One of the most significant benefits of dating yourself is the boost it provides to your confidence. When you take the time to treat yourself with care and prioritize your own needs and desires, you send a powerful message to your subconscious mind that you’re worthy of love and attention.
This self-assuredness can translate into other areas of your life, helping you assert yourself in personal and professional relationships and giving you the courage to pursue your goals and dreams. Make the time to do activities like getting comfortable eating alone or get excited about a solo hike. Your confidence and self-esteem will skyrocket.
2. You Get to Know Yourself Better
The older you get, the busier life seems to get and it’s easy to lose touch with who you are and what truly makes you happy. Dating yourself allows you to slow down and reconnect with your inner self. It can help you discover your quirks, pet peeves and how you’ve changed over the years. You can use this time to explore your interests, hobbies and passions that may have taken a backseat amidst your daily responsibilities.
Through solo dates and self-reflection, you gain a deeper understanding of your values, desires and aspirations, leading to a more authentic and fulfilling life.
3. You Increase Overall Self-love
Dating yourself is the ultimate act of self-love. It’s about treating yourself with the same kindness and compassion you would offer to a partner. This practice cultivates a healthy sense of self-worth and self-esteem. When you prioritize self-love, you become less reliant on external validation and better equipped to handle the ups and downs of life. The inner reservoir of self-love can become a source of strength and resilience during challenging times.
4. You Start a Journey of Personal Growth
Dating yourself is an ongoing journey of personal growth. By engaging in activities that challenge you, pushing your boundaries and seeking new and exciting experiences, you continue to evolve and develop as an individual. This growth enriches your own life but also makes you a more interesting and independent person in the eyes of others. Perhaps you’ve learned some things you couldn’t do before, like sorting out your finances or whipping up a roasted branzino that tastes like Italy.
5. You Improve Relationships With Others
Oddly enough, dating yourself can improve your relationships with those around you. When you’re in a healthy, loving relationship with yourself, you bring a sense of contentment and fulfillment to your interactions with friends, family and potential romantic partners. You become less needy and clingy, allowing your relationships to thrive on mutual respect and genuine connection rather than dependency. Additionally, as you get to know yourself better and grow as an individual, you become better equipped to communicate your needs and boundaries effectively, leading to more harmonious relationships.
42 Ideas for Dating Yourself
Here are some great ideas for dating yourself:
- Have a spa day: Treat yourself to a rejuvenating spa day to unwind and pamper your body and mind.
- DIY spa day: Create a spa atmosphere at home with facials, massages and aromatherapy. You can light some scented candles and research facial recipes online.
- Book a night at a fancy hotel: Treat yourself to a night in a swanky hotel and have a relaxing bubble bath.
- Attend a live performance: Enjoy a concert, theater play or stand-up comedy show by yourself.
- Explore your own city: Be a tourist in your own city for the day. Take a sightseeing bus and visit your local tourist attractions.
Work Towards Your Best Self
- Learn a musical instrument: Dedicate time to learn to play a musical instrument you’ve always admired.
- Visit an art gallery or museum: Immerse yourself in art and culture by visiting local galleries or museums.
- Attend a networking event: Expand your social circle and meet like-minded individuals.
- Try indoor rock climbing: Challenge yourself physically by trying indoor rock climbing.
- Create a vision board: Visualize your goals and aspirations by crafting a vision board. Ask yourself questions like, “What are my goals in the next three/five/seven years? What do I still want to achieve?”
- Plan a DIY project: There are a lot of activities you can do yourself. Engage in a creative DIY project, such as crafting, painting or gardening.
- Choose a cause: Spend time giving back to the community by volunteering for a cause close to your heart. You can volunteer for organizations related to the environment, animals or feeding programs.
Go for Something Delicious
- Explore a farmers market: Browse fresh produce and unique artisanal goods at a local farmers market. Buy yourself a tasty breakfast and a fresh bunch of flowers.
- Picnic in the park: Pack your favorite lunch or a few snacks and spend a wholesome day reading, meditating or laying in the sun.
- Enjoy a coffee date: Sit at a cozy cafe, sip your favorite coffee and people-watch.
- Take yourself to brunch: Treat yourself to a delicious brunch at a trendy cafe.
- Cook yourself a meal: Make yourself an extravagant meal, light some candles and unwind with a funny, serious or cheesy romcom.
Indulge Your Inner Child
- Build a fort: Embrace your inner child and build a cozy fort at home.
- Indoor camping: Set up a tent indoors, complete with fairy lights and snacks, for a fun and unique camping experience.
- Go to a trampoline park: Relive childhood memories by bouncing at a trampoline park.
- Host a solo dance party: Crank up your favorite tunes and dance like nobody’s watching.
- Karaoke night: Sing your heart out at a karaoke bar or organize a karaoke session at home.
- Go geocaching: Engage in a modern-day treasure hunt by geocaching.
Discover Something New
- Go on a solo trip: Disconnect from daily life by visiting a new city or taking a day trip to connect with yourself.
- Watch a new movie: Enjoy a marathon of your favorite films or explore a new genre.
- Try a new restaurant: Savor the experience of dining alone at a restaurant you’ve always wanted to try.
- Explore a new hobby: Delve into a hobby that intrigues you, like painting, dancing or writing.
- Explore a new cuisine: Try a foreign cuisine at an authentic restaurant.
- Attend a book reading event: Discover new authors at book readings or signings at your local bookstore.
- Attend a workshop or class: Sign up for a class or workshop that’s entirely new to you, but you’ve always wanted to try — for instance, a cooking class, a Pilates workout or even a writing class.
Explore the Beauty of the Outdoors
- Go hiking: Explore nearby trails and embrace the serenity of nature. It’s the perfect opportunity to enjoy the peace and quiet of the outdoors.
- Visit a botanical garden: Connect with nature and immerse yourself in the beauty of plants and flowers.
- Visit an animal sanctuary: Spend time with animals and support a meaningful cause.
- Take a boat ride: Enjoy the tranquility of being on the water, whether it’s a lake or river.
- Stargazing: Spend a night under the stars with a blanket and a good book.
- Ocean day: Spend a day at the beach, soaking in the sun and enjoying the sea breeze.
- Take a photography walk: Capture the beauty of your surroundings through photography.
Reflect and Practice Mindfulness
- Start a journal: Express your thoughts and emotions through writing in a journal. There are different prompts you can use that can help you reflect and get to know yourself.
- Yoga or meditation: Practice mindfulness through yoga or meditation to achieve inner peace. This practice helps you to be more grounded in the present moment.
- Start a gratitude journal: Cultivate a sense of gratitude by noting down things you’re thankful for daily.
- Take a mindful walk: Practice mindful walking, paying attention to your surroundings and sensations.
- Have a technology-free day: Are you used to using your gadgets the whole time? It’s time to unplug from screens and devices, focusing solely on mindful activities.
Invest in Yourself
Make an effort to do something for yourself weekly. Consider setting aside some quality time for yourself by treating yourself to solo adventures and investing in the most important relationship of all – the relationship with yourself.
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
We would love to connect deeper with you!