When you’re constantly on the road, you can only bring your essentials when it comes to beauty and bath products. Even then, you realize that what you view as essential is less than necessary.It’s so frustrating to run out of a cherished product and not be able to run to the store or wait on an order to ship. So, I’ve learned to DIY my own beauty and bath products.To others, I may resemble a mad scientist or kitchen witch gone a little berserk mixing cornstarch, essential oils and other goodies together. Making my own natural beauty products and using on the road beauty hacks keeps money in my pocket to spend on experience, and my look stays dewy and fresh!No Shampoo, No Water: No Problem If you’re like me, you can’t start your day with greasy, stringy hair. It’s a yucky feeling that doesn’t bode well for a fresh new day. When I know I’ll spend days on the road, I’ve learned to stretch my time between shampoos by making my own dry shampoo.All you need is a pinch or two of cornstarch or arrowroot powder. You have to find the right balance to avoid looking like you’re wearing a powdered wig, and to match the shade of my natural hair color I add raw cacao powder. You have to experiment with the proportions until you find just the right amount. A few drops of essential oils also add a lovely smell.Don’t coat your hair with the dry shampoo. Run a little between your finger tips and massage it near your crown, where the greasy parts are, and brush it out. I sprinkle a little on a brush, fluffy up my hair and brush out the grease from my crown. If I do this once or twice a week, a few days apart, it really makes a difference with my look.Homemade Toothpaste Ingredients in commercial toothpaste have gone under fire these last few years. Glycerin is supposed to protect your teeth, but it also negatively affects the re-enamalization of teeth. Sodium fluoride is supposed to keep your teeth healthy, but it’s an aluminum manufacturing by-product found in industrial pesticides and rat poison.Luckily, homemade toothpaste does the trick to keep your teeth healthy and white. Mix the following:
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 tbsp baking soda
- 25 drops of your preferred essential oil
- 1 tsp stevia
Whip this by hand or use a mixer. Pour it in a mason jar, and you’re done! A bottle for hair dye also works to squeeze the paste out onto the toothbrush.Extras: My Secret Stash of Beauty Hacks I feel like I’m camping in my car most of the time, but it’s fun to be inventive. It’s also fun to see people’s expressions when they realize I’ve been on the road for four days and not had a real shower, yet look and smell like a clean person. I keep a secret stash of beauty hacks with me, and I’ll let you in on what I’m packing in my arsenal:
- Eco-friendly wipes: In the car or in the bathroom during a pit stop, I’ll freshen up with the wipes in the essential places and feel so much better!
- Coconut Oil: With my old faithful jar of coconut oil, my body gets major beauty benefits! I have a natural conditioner and face and body moisturizer. As you know, it’s also great for your teeth.
- Natural Deodorant: I keep a stick of natural deodorant in my stash, and it lasts so much longer than regular deodorant. Recipes vary and may include coconut oil, cornstarch, beeswax, baking soda and more! My favorite is this natural deodorant with probiotics, which reduces body smell at the gut level when absorbed into the body.
- Turmeric: When I notice a break out, I mix an equal-parts paste of turmeric and honey, and it zaps the zit without scaring. Turmeric does stain yellow if left on for long periods, but the eco wipes help. In its paste form, turmeric dries the zit out while reducing inflammation, which is one of its amazing properties.
- Cheats: I do keep the basics for a nail kit, and a little mascara goes a long way to making you feel awake and beautiful in the early mornings.
Who says you can’t stay fresh and clean on the road? Not this traveler! Some of the natural recipes may seem like a lot of work, but they last a long time, they save you money, and you know exactly what goes into them! I hope you add these supplies to your on the road beauty arsenal, because they’ve saved me in some tough beauty care spots.
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
We would love to connect deeper with you!